33 Things for Me
My birthday was a few days ago (the 13th). I'm 33 this year. I'm very pleased with that number: it has good symmetry. It holds promise. My husband says he thinks this is the year we finally become adults. I prefer to think of it as continuing to come into our own.
James also asked me what I want for Christmas this year. I'd given him a wish list (at his request) but he said that nothing on it was "jumping out" at him and asked me to give it some more thought. There are plenty of things that I like and want and would appreciate receiving. But I realized that so much of what I desire isn't sold in stores and doesn't come in boxes.
So to celebrate growing up, coming into our own, and appreciating that we have more than we need, here's my wish list of 33 things I'd like to do, have, or be.
- 1. Learn all the words to "Carol of the Bells."
- 2. Have a surprise birthday party.
- 3. Get an MFA in writing.
- 4. Write a book. Get it published. Repeat.
- 5. Make perfect Yorkshire puddings.
- 6. Build (or buy) the cottage of my dreams.
- 7. Spend some time on the West Coast, specifically in Big Sur, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia.
- 8. Act in another play.
- 9. Go snow skiing.
- 10. Sip espresso in an Italian cafe.
- 11. See elves in Iceland.
- 12. Go back to England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales to visit my old haunts and see the places I missed the first time around, like Cornwall, Devon, and the Isles of Iona, Skye, and Mull.
- 13. Develop the patience to learn how to take better photographs.
- 14. Keep my house clean, tidy, and beautiful more often than it's not.
- 15. Attend TUBACHRISTMAS.
- 16. Remember to plant spring bulbs in the fall.
- 17. Drive a car with a manual transmission without fearing hills.
- 18. Be bilingual.
- 19. Achieve and maintain a healthy weight and strong body.
- 20. Visit New York City during the holiday magic of December.
- 21. Spend a week with my tribe gathered together in one beautiful place.
- 22. Live near the sea.
- 23. Go on a zero gravity flight.
- 24. Stay out of debt.
- 25. Write poetry again.
- 26. Skinny dip under a full moon in a warm pool of water.
- 27. See the Northern Lights.
- 28. Compost.
- 29. Make art on a regular basis.
- 30. Write everyday. (And not feel guilty if I don't.)
- 31. Get a pair of cat-eye glasses.
- 32. Live in a lovely small town with big city amenities.
- 33. Add 67 more things to this list.