The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

12.16.2008

33 Things for Me


My birthday was a few days ago (the 13th). I'm 33 this year. I'm very pleased with that number: it has good symmetry. It holds promise. My husband says he thinks this is the year we finally become adults. I prefer to think of it as continuing to come into our own.

James also asked me what I want for Christmas this year. I'd given him a wish list (at his request) but he said that nothing on it was "jumping out" at him and asked me to give it some more thought. There are plenty of things that I like and want and would appreciate receiving. But I realized that so much of what I desire isn't sold in stores and doesn't come in boxes.

So to celebrate growing up, coming into our own, and appreciating that we have more than we need, here's my wish list of 33 things I'd like to do, have, or be.

  1. 1. Learn all the words to "Carol of the Bells."
  2. 2. Have a surprise birthday party.
  3. 3. Get an MFA in writing.
  4. 4. Write a book. Get it published. Repeat.
  5. 5. Make perfect Yorkshire puddings.
  6. 6. Build (or buy) the cottage of my dreams.
  7. 7. Spend some time on the West Coast, specifically in Big Sur, Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia.
  8. 8. Act in another play.
  9. 9. Go snow skiing.
  10. 10. Sip espresso in an Italian cafe.
  11. 11. See elves in Iceland.
  12. 12. Go back to England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales to visit my old haunts and see the places I missed the first time around, like Cornwall, Devon, and the Isles of Iona, Skye, and Mull.
  13. 13. Develop the patience to learn how to take better photographs.
  14. 14. Keep my house clean, tidy, and beautiful more often than it's not.
  15. 15. Attend TUBACHRISTMAS.
  16. 16. Remember to plant spring bulbs in the fall.
  17. 17. Drive a car with a manual transmission without fearing hills.
  18. 18. Be bilingual.
  19. 19. Achieve and maintain a healthy weight and strong body.
  20. 20. Visit New York City during the holiday magic of December.
  21. 21. Spend a week with my tribe gathered together in one beautiful place.
  22. 22. Live near the sea.
  23. 23. Go on a zero gravity flight.
  24. 24. Stay out of debt.
  25. 25. Write poetry again.
  26. 26. Skinny dip under a full moon in a warm pool of water.
  27. 27. See the Northern Lights.
  28. 28. Compost.
  29. 29. Make art on a regular basis.
  30. 30. Write everyday. (And not feel guilty if I don't.)
  31. 31. Get a pair of cat-eye glasses.
  32. 32. Live in a lovely small town with big city amenities.
  33. 33. Add 67 more things to this list.

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy | 8:19 PM

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're keeping score, you can at least strike #30 for the day.

12/16/2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Michelle said...

i love lists...
and this one's pretty amazing!
so glad you're in my feedreader so i won't miss a thing ;-)

xo. happy belated birthday, beautiful. xo

12/16/2008 11:37 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Happy Belated AND may I say what a totally delightful, and exuberant list of 33 things, #31 might be my favourite...

12/17/2008 12:17 PM  
Blogger Crafty P said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

#14 is totally overrated. skip it.

and #28 is on my list next year as well... or maybe once we buy a house...
have you heard of the germanatrix? check her out and worm composting. fascinating stuff and that's where I plan to start!

12/17/2008 4:41 PM  
Blogger Jen Lee said...

13 days left to do #20 this year! I know a place you could stay... :)

12/18/2008 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! That is a good list, and totally doable. I think you'll get half those checked off sooner than you think!

12/19/2008 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how fun!

They actually have elves in Iceland?

As a #3 junkie (it's my favorite number of all time!) - I'm loving the photograph you chose! I predict 33 will be a very good year for you :-)

12/19/2008 7:23 PM  
Blogger GailNHB said...

Great list, J. Inspiring. I look forward to reading of your adventure in checking these things off your list. Please keep us informeed!!! Especially about #26 and #2 and #6.

12/21/2008 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful list! It is inspiring me as I think of my goals for 2009. I love Big Sur as well, so I will hope we both get there this year.

May all your beautiful dreams come true!

12/22/2008 7:50 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

i love this.
esp elves in iceland.
you can see our little elves in snow if you want. would that count? cause it is freakin' cold here.

xoxo

1/14/2009 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home