The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

12.03.2008

Yesterday's Lessons


What I learned from spending the day with a friend, a toddler, and a newborn:

  • I'm woefully out of shape. My muscles are screaming today after hoisting around a 35-pound kid yesterday and getting down on the floor to play with him.
  • Kids never stop. Ever.
  • Losing a few pounds is definitely a good idea. The waitress asked me how old my newborn was. When I pointed to my friend and explained that he was her six-week-old, the waitress exclaimed, "That's your baby? You look amazing!"
  • I'm still not ready to commit to having my own offspring.
  • When and if I am ready, I think one will be plenty.
  • Those minivans with the automatic doors are AWESOME.
  • I inherently know how to use THE LOOK and THE VOICE when a kid acts up.
  • Toddler poop is a serious mess.
  • Swaddling is a lifesaver.
  • Babies"R"Us is full of tempting consumer ploys to make me chuck my birth control pills in the garbage. (Tempting, but not convincing.)
  • Sometimes it's easier to just pick up the toddler than to hold his hand and let him walk.
  • Two-year-olds talk. A lot. And I understand very little of it.
  • Hearing a toddler shout "Lello!" when he spots his favorite color is just about the most joyous thing ever.

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy | 5:47 PM

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just working on my first novel and two rather vital character happen to be two year-old twins. The one problem? I'm not a mom yet and I happen to be one of the few 29 year olds who does not have tons friends in the midst of a baby craze (everyone is waiting for me and my husband to be the first!). What I have picked up from my one momma friend is much like your list - random impressions that add up to a little confusion, a lot of exhaustion, and a ton of respect for the ladies who are out there mommy-ing.
Thanks so much for this - it really made me smile!

12/03/2008 10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That joy is what we all remember last and forever. It completely clears all pain.

12/03/2008 11:54 PM  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

laughing....a lot!

12/04/2008 5:51 AM  
Blogger jena strong said...

Lello! I mean, Hello!

12/04/2008 2:47 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

hehe. see, it's chaotic fun. hard to describe and yet so much fun. you'll know when the time is right.

xoxo

ps when we got our van i was a little bummed, it was a mini van for crying out loud! but with leather heated seats, a dvd player, automatic doors... seriously, they rock. i would have one even if i didn't have kids.

12/08/2008 2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home