The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

9.23.2008

A Peak into Squam

Nestled in the woods on the shores of Squam Lake sits Brown Betty, my home for the duration of Squam Art Workshops. There was cabin discussion over whether Betty is named after the dessert or the teapot. (And apparently, Brown Betty is Black-Eyed Susan's pseudonym.) I'm sticking with teapot. Either way, we all agreed that she was lovely.


Adding to Betty's rustic charm was her stout green icebox...


...complete with ice harvested from the lake last winter.


My bed upstairs in the rafters had an impressively warm down comforter, which was especially helpful on that first night with its frost warning. If only we'd discovered the glass storm window for the door downstairs before the next morning, things would have been a little less alfresco.


More reflections on SAW to come, I'm sure....

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy | 2:20 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

ummmm...first of all....holy crap, what were you doing up at 2:20 writing this post...obviously not sleeeping....hee hee

the photos are GREAT....the stories funny and perfect....and yes, those storm doors and windows did help with the cold...SO COLD that night....brrrrr !!!

thanks so much for my photos...it was great to meet you and have you as a partner in class !!!

and I'll keep coming back here for more anything !!!!

9/23/2008 8:44 AM  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

oh...yum.

9/23/2008 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved the ice boxes! That first night was a cold one...good thing we found the storm window though

9/25/2008 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home