The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

8.16.2008

Lessons from the lightning bugs



video originally uploaded by fimoculous

What the fireflies teach me:

  • Magic is happening all around you. (look: here. and over here. there. here and here. look.)
  • Fences are artificial divisions. There is no real difference between my land and yours.
  • Not all creepy crawlies are scary.
  • There's always room and time to play.
  • There's light in the darkness if only we can see it.
  • Joy and wonder are ours for the taking and giving.
  • Even the most ordinary-looking little thing is full of unexpected possibility.
  • Whimsy is not limited to little children.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy | 10:37 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Ry Pepper said...

I was just remembering the other day, as I walked through a field full of fireflies, how funny it is that I never had any problem catching and holding them, but god forbid a fly land on me!

Great post.

8/17/2008 9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is also this................... Somethings are more beautiful in the dark.

and

There are fairies flying if only you squint your eyes.

8/18/2008 9:19 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

When I was considering a move to Portland, Oregon, I got really sad about the prospect of living in a place that didn't have fireflies. They're so magical.

I've tagged you on my blog~ play along if you like, but don't feel obligated!

Cheers~ *Anna

8/22/2008 3:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Wait. There are no fireflies in Oregon? Portland is on my list of Cities I've Never Visited But Would Like To Move To Someday. This could change things. But really, why are there no lightning bugs there?

8/22/2008 8:23 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I think that there's some sort of Great Lightning Bug Divide. Like a mountain range, I think... Maybe I'm wrong (I *hope* I'm wrong) but that's my understanding. Very sad!

8/24/2008 10:52 PM  
Blogger meghan said...

"Whimsy is not limited to little children," was my favorite! It made me grin! I miss fireflies - they don't have them here...

8/29/2008 10:17 AM  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

wow....i love this.
something so simple,
so beautiful.

thanks for sharing girlie.

6/17/2009 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home