The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

7.26.2008

Life, Interrupted

I've been home from San Francisco for about 96 hours. I have several stories knocking around in my head, just begging me to write them. I also have three unpacked bags, a truckload of dirty laundry, two slightly neglected cats, a very messy office/studio, and a backlog of people to call and email. I'm trying to attend to all of these mundane details, but the truth is that real life is kicking my ass.

The last three days have been filled with long drives to a hospital in Pittsburgh, long stretches in hospital waiting rooms, and long nights filled with crying and exhaustion. My father-in-law passed away last night. He was just 57 and died from complications while waiting for a liver transplant.

The next week will be filled with long stretches of waiting interrupted by intense moments of planning. The strain of juggling emotion and efficiency will wear on our already tired eyes and hearts. This is a strange kind of limbo land, somewhere between grief and real life. Time has lost all meaning. Hours pass by unnoticed, while minutes drag on.

So until there's more time to think and space to breathe, I'll probably be quiet here. If I met you at BlogHer last week, please know that I can't wait to visit your blog and connect with you. If you've emailed me or left a voicemail, I will do my best to get back to you as soon as I can. In the meantime, I'll be practicing being an adult, which, as far as I can tell, means balancing between the ridiculous and the sublime.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy | 10:07 PM

8 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

I'm so sorry, Jenn. My prayers are with you and your family.

7/27/2008 8:53 AM  
Blogger jena strong said...

It's all such a delicate balance. May your father-in-law's memory be a blessing to you and your family. xo Jena

7/27/2008 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry too! I have no doubt that you will be able to achieve that balance with grace and integrity, as you always have. Praying for you all.

7/27/2008 3:18 PM  
Blogger GailNHB said...

I am sorry to hear of the passing of your father-in-law. May you and all the others who loved him be comforted and surrounded by peace and strength and know the power of The One Who Comforts Us All.

Much love, Gail

7/28/2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger jen said...

How overwhelming! I'm sorry for your loss. It was great seeing you/meeting you. Looking forward to more.

7/29/2008 1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you much love and many prayers!

7/30/2008 8:46 AM  
Blogger Misa Gracie said...

I too lost my father when he was just 57. I can imagine the grief both you and your family are feeling, I will keep you in my prayers.

7/30/2008 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss Jennifer. Life can certainly throw some hard knocks can't it. Hope you are doing okay - Hugs Jen xx

8/13/2008 1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home