The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

9.06.2008

It's All Happening: Mondo Beyondo Update

heart in Union Square, San Francisco

At the beginning of the year, I wrote a retrospective on 2007 and a Mondo Beyondo Prospective for 2008. (Find out more about the Mondo Beyondo concept.) I named 2008 my year of Opportunity, Abundance, Prosperity, Plenty, and Creation, and made a list of intentions for how I want to live and what I want to do. I also named and claimed some Mondo Beyondo dreams for this year and beyond. I'm amazed and joyful and humbled and pleased to see several of them coming to fruition.

I wanted: "to start creating mixed media art and find my own path as a visual artist." Next week, I'll go to my very first art retreat, where I'll take a painting and mixed media class. I'm also taking a travel journaling class and attending the Superhero Life workshop. I'm particularly excited about this last one, as it's being taught by the Super Duper Andrea Scher of Superhero Designs. I met Andrea very briefly at the BlogHer Swap Meet this summer and can't wait to learn from her. Plus? Her lovely assistant will be Jen Gray, who I "know" through blogging and a few emails. (It's hard to know if the word "know" is really the right verb in these cases, isn't it?)

And as if that weren't enough, Jonatha Brooke will be providing camp fire music, Boho Girl Denise will be running around taking artist portraits, and Kelly Rae Roberts, one of my favorite artists, will be hosting a discussion about living the creative life.

But wait! There's more! I was serendipitously connected with Kelly Barton of Camp Indigo Soul to share a rental car between the airport and the camp. After connecting with her, I realized that she is the woman behind one of my favorite Etsy shops. And speaking of serendipity, I'll also get to meet the inspiring Liz Elayne Lamoreux of Be Present, Be Here and The Little Room Etsy shop. (Remind me to tell you the funny little story about how we "met" online.) I'm also looking forward to meeting Kirsten Michelle from In the Land of the Lovelies.

I have a feeling that once I get back from New Hampshire, I'll be gushing about all of these women and more, as well as the whole Squam experience. (fair warning!)

I wanted: "to uncover and be at peace with my decision about having a child." Although I haven't reached a decision or a place of total peace yet, I have had a major epiphany in this realm, which has helped me to understand the swirl of emotions surrounding this issue for me. I'm not ready to tell that part of my story yet, but the plot is definitely taking a few twists and turns.

I wanted: "to spend a week at a writers' retreat somewhere beautiful, comfortable, and nurturing." Earlier this year I reconnected with a writer friend from college (hi, Jamye!). Several months ago, she asked if I would be interested in joining her and some other women on a writing retreat. The details are still unfolding, but it looks like this little dream will come true the first week of November.

At least one other Mondo Beyondo dream is in the works and looks like it will become a reality. And that's just what I can see. What if all the others are unfurling in their own way and time? I don't know where my dream cottage is yet, but I'm sure it's out there.

There is more of the year behind us than in front of us, but there's always time for dreaming and scheming. What are you up to lately?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

add to kirtsy | 1:50 PM

7 Comments:

Blogger Jen Lee said...

I know for a fact that Jen Gray, Andrea and Kelly Rae (along with Mati Rose) are totally bringing the goods. I wish I were joining you--it's going to ROCK!

I also wanted you to know that I had mommy angst for years before having children, and I used to wonder what was wrong with me that I couldn't "just have kids or not" like everyone else seemed to be doing. Let me know if you ever want to talk about it.

Hugs, Jen

9/07/2008 8:44 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Jenna-

I am loving this post! Thank you for sharing it in my comments. I am so happy to hear that you are getting to go on retreats and support your creative self. Whenever I have had the time and the connection with a workshop or retreat I have always gotten so much out of it. I can't wait to hear about even more mondo beyondo dreams!

9/09/2008 2:22 PM  
Blogger GailNHB said...

I am enormously jealous that you are at Squam. I hope you have an absolute blast!!! Create lots of stuff. Blog. Journal. Take zillions of pictures - and make this an awesome time for yourself. As for the writing retreat - again, yeah for you! Super duper yeah! Perhaps I should plan one of those for myself. I could use some time away, for sure.

I look forward to hearing how all of that works out for you and in your soul. Especially the baby thing... Such big doings, dear Jen.

9/10/2008 7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart is smiling BIG TIME for you, dear friend! Sooooo glad you're having fun on the Mondo Beyondo path!

Live it up!

Soak it in!

We are rejoicing right along with you :-)

9/11/2008 8:04 PM  
Blogger jenica said...

so glad you came! it was wonderful to meet you. now you can check a few more things of the list and move onto the next big adventure. ;-D

xoxo

9/15/2008 10:26 PM  
Blogger kelly rae said...

you were a bright light - so great to meet you!
only wish there was more time for talks and walks and chats...
big hugs to you!
kelly rae

9/16/2008 5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer you are an inspiration really. How great that your list is coming into fruition! I love this post. Take care xxx

9/23/2008 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home