The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

2.06.2007

This Just In: My Husband is a Bastard

James: Local-TV-Anchorwoman was in the store again today with her three kids.

Me: Yeah? She's there a lot.

James: Her husband's phone wasn't working.

Me: Oh.

James: She called me a bastard.

Me: What?! She's Local-TV-Anchorwoman! She can't do that! What happened?

James: She asked me if we have kids. I told her that we're enjoying it just being the two of us right now.

Me: Okay....

James: And she said, "You bastard!"

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy | 4:27 PM

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My husband also sees a local tv anchorwoman at work. Though since he works at a health club, he sees her without makeup and all sweaty. Much different that the face on tv. I think she'd be afraid to call him a bastard since he knows what she looks like during her early morning workouts.

2/07/2007 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! People should mind their own business--why should she care if you have kids and why is she entitled to know why or why not? Can't stand those questions about kids, like people who don't even know you deserve to know.

2/07/2007 10:48 AM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Jess: Let's see if it's the same one! James said that his comes into the store in sweat pants and a bandana and looks NOTHING like she does on TV. I said that I was surprised that she's allowed to go out in public like that!

2/07/2007 3:21 PM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Ally: I agree. I usually get bent out of shape with the "do you have kids?" question. But it's rare to find a parent who acknowledges his or her jealousy of my child-free lifestyle. Usually they try to talk us into why we should have kids ASAP, or why I'll change my mind later. So weirdly enough, this was a refreshing change of pace.

2/07/2007 3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, this beats the coworker who told me "oh, you're just like my daughter, her dog is her baby too." What is wrong with people commenting about kids and calling people names????

2/18/2007 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home