The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

2.18.2009

That Loopy Feeling


I wrote a blog post the other night. In my head. While I was falling asleep. No worries, I remember it. I'm just too tired right now to spin that particular yarn. I'm still working on that project that I mentioned previously. It's nearing completion. But its end could mean just the beginning for something much larger. Am I being cryptic? Ah, but of course! (Say that last sentence in a French accent, s'il vous plait.) (I'm not sure why, but I feel like I'm channeling that lovely blue poppy Elizabeth tonight. You know her, oui? Ah, but of course you do! Or at least should. Go see her blog. She's funny. And charming.) (And for the record, I accidentally wrote "blue ploppy" the first time. It's fun to say. Say it.)

Anyway, I've got the Unnamed Project going on. And on top of that -- and this is the thing that's really sucking my energy -- there's a new project in my life. One that involves my alarm going off at 7:00 in the morning. If you know me even a teensy bit, you will know that this is, how shall we say?, le torture. I am a night owl. My biological clock tells me to go to bed in the a.m. hours and get up in the p.m. hours. So I'm all kerfuffled with this new project. It also requires me to drive a long distance to a real office and work around real people. I have to wear a bra and shoes all day long. It's exhausting. (Sometimes I slip my shoes off under the desk. I think it's only a matter of time until I start unhooking my bra and eventually furtively pulling it out through my sleeve.)

But the Far Away-Ass Early-Must Wear Bra-Project has some big plus sides. One: It's casual work attire. So apart from shoes and a bra, I can basically wear whatever I want. Two: It's good work. Good meaning: steady, well compensated, and pleasant. But wait, before you feel anxious, hear this: I am still a freelancer, people. This is merely a longer term contracted project. So don't worry your pretty little heads about me going corporate again. (As if working for one YMCA and two universities ever made me corporate.) I mention this last point for two reasons: One: To maintain my street cred as a creative contractor. Two: To point out that I'm still accepting additional freelance work. (Look at me, shilling for compliments and clients. Woot!)

So as you can tell by the tone and content of this blog post, Projects 1 & 2 are making me loopy. If, by some off chance, this post is not hilarious (as I suspect it is) and is actually annoying (for you) and embarrassing (for me), please let me know gently. Otherwise I might have to whip you in the eye with my bra. Or throw a shoe at you. Any excuse to get out of these damn things.

And now I'm going to go watch Le Lost. (That's French for Lost.) I bid you bonsoir!

Labels:

add to kirtsy | 9:44 PM

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen Lee said...

You crack me up. Miss you!

2/19/2009 10:13 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

This cracked me up! Thank you for the chuckle. :)

2/22/2009 10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious :-)

Made me laugh and smile!

Glad to hear things are a bit more chipper in your neck of the woods!

I ate Fage yogurt with blueberries and granola yesterday morning for breakfast. It reminded me of my adventure to your maison just about a year ago :-)

2/22/2009 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken, it is possible to be craetive and corprate - jusrt. Me I always wear a bra and shoes at work. I even wear heels and blouses.

But at home, well I still wear a bra (not big, but snouty occsioanlly :)and shape is required!) but not very often shoes... but still craetive with the writing, sanding, sewing, card making and baking. Ok it's not a business, but it is still possible. You just need to be smart at work and bohemian at home. It works!!

Love Brit chick xx

2/23/2009 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home