The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

1.02.2008

Happiness: Now, Here

One of my newest favorite things: a felted tea cosy from Delightful Knits' Etsy shop (photo from etsy.com)


I can feel the hopes and goals for 2008 gently swirling around the outskirts of my thoughts. I'm anxious to get to them, eager to grow and do and change and be. But they tell me to be patient and assure me that they'll wait. They tell me to take care of my present situation before I forge ahead into the future.

For the past six days I've been knocked down with a flu-cold combo. It's had me burning up with fever and aching all over (but not in the way that people get feverish and ache for each other in romance novels). I've been nursing a sore throat, doing my best to evade a cough, and blowing something akin to jellyfish out of my nose. I can't help but wonder if this is the Universe's ironic response to my request for a day to just sit and read. For days now I haven't been able to do much but sleep, read, and watch BBC America and Food Network. It sounds nice, but I could do without those gross jellyfish.

So while I recuperate and let my unconscious mind dream unfettered about this year's Mondo Beyondo list, I thought I'd make a list of my favorite things. At a time of year when the focus is on the ways we aren't good enough and how we resolve to change, it's nice to think about what we already love in life. The idea for the list comes from this Jen Lemen post. Be sure to read the comments for other people's lists, then check out Karen's budding list over at Chookooloonks as well as Stephanie's list on Cool People I Know.

Jena at Bullseye Baby (which I recently discovered) has an edifying post about the slight difference between "nowhere" and "now here." It's just a small space, a breath; but it makes all the difference in the world.

In random order, here are 25 things that I love, here and now:

  1. My husband's funny dances, silly songs, and imaginative stories
  2. Fresh, ripe raspberries and cherries
  3. The slate-blue color of the world at twilight
  4. Smooth grey pebbles
  5. Freshly laundered bedding
  6. The ocean
  7. A good pot of Darjeeling
  8. Wearing my new Superhero necklace (which mysteriously matches everything I own)
  9. Back rubs and foot massages
  10. Fresh cut flowers from farmers' markets
  11. Immersing myself in a good novel
  12. British accents
  13. The way Cheska's fur smells after she's been sitting by an open window
  14. Ice cream, cheese, clotted cream (okay, most dairy products)
  15. The smell of freshly cut grass
  16. Thai food
  17. The rare moments when my whole family laughs in unison
  18. Serendipity
  19. Words like serendipity
  20. Dreaming about travel
  21. The way Gatwick lets me know each evening that it's time for his favorite treat: a dish of water over a few pieces of kibble
  22. Twinkly faerie lights
  23. Buttered toast
  24. Sending and receiving real mail
  25. Avocados


What makes you happy?

    Labels: , , ,

    add to kirtsy | 6:29 PM

    6 Comments:

    Blogger littlepurplecow said...

    Love your list. I too am enjoying my new SuperHero necklace from Santa and indeed it matches everything I own. Best wishes to you in 2008!

    1/02/2008 9:45 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What makes me happy...anything that does not make me anything but happy.

    1/03/2008 4:36 PM  
    Blogger jena strong said...

    Beautiful list.

    I'm all about the dairy products,
    the twinkly lights, the explosion of color at the farmer's market, the freshly-made bed.

    And summer storm light, when the sky is dark, dark, dark blue-gray, brooding and deep, but the sun makes the green light up.

    xo Jena

    1/04/2008 8:19 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ok! i'm ready for a new post!!!

    1/14/2008 5:45 PM  
    Blogger Lex said...

    I'm with you on the Thai food, I love the chilli. It makes me laugh that you like British accents though - There are so many to choose from!
    Hope you feel better soon
    Lex

    1/17/2008 1:44 PM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    British accents?? Mine perchance?

    I love that necklace by the way - I think I'd wear it with everything too!!!

    much love
    Claire x

    1/24/2008 11:42 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home