The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

9.02.2007

Golden Days

Courtyard between two retail shops, East Main St., Ligonier, Pa

These are the golden days of summer. Maybe it's the blue sky, sunshine, and low humidity, reminding me that my favorite season is fast approaching. Perhaps it's the festive holiday weekend brightening everyone's mood. Or maybe it's simply that I spent the days with people I love, doing things I enjoy.

The weekend has been full of sensory delights:


  • a last minute visit with a dear friend;
  • comic llamas at the market munching on grass with their broad, powerful teeth;
  • a decadent lunch with Mom at Ivy's Cafe that included fruited iced tea, salad with homemade berry vinaigrette, lobster and shrimp croquettes, mashed potatoes, sweet carrots, an open-faced bleu burger, and homemade potato chips, with coconut rum cake and a strawberry and cream Napoleon for dessert;
  • courtyards and bouquets of flowers, still going strong in the last days of the season;
  • finding laughter and connectedness after too many days without;
  • tills of fresh, local berries in hues of golden yellow, ruby red, and pearlescent black;
  • wines from the new Greendance Winery at Sand Hill that remind me of the wines of my honeymoon;
  • barbeque chicken and ribs with James at The Summer Place's last weekend of the season; and
  • using gift cards to buy an outdoor fireplace for our new patio.

These beasties inspired my mom to quote from Napoleon Dynamite: "Tina, eat. Eat the food!"





Here's an extreme close-up of the tasty green morsel in Tina's mouth (and check out that chin stubble!):


This lantern is next to the Squirrel Crossing trellis (above) on East Main Street in Ligonier:



In front of a shop in Ligonier:




Sunday's solo expedition to the berry farm yielded beautiful, ripe fruit, shown here in my backyard, which is (finally) looking green and lush:



On Monday we'll water the new plants from our recent landscaping renovation, run a few errands, and find recipes to use up all those berries. I'll spend some time finishing my postcards for the swap while James practices his violin. Dinner will be a cookout that's sure to include corn on the cob. We'll initiate the new fireplace by toasting marshmallows and will end the day under the stars, relaxed in the knowledge that we both have Tuesday off as well. Golden days, indeed.

Labels: , ,

add to kirtsy | 5:24 PM

5 Comments:

Blogger melissa said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend. Glad you've been enjoying these golden days !

I LOVE the first picture in this post . . . I just can't take my eyes off of it . . . and wishing that I could create a nook in my yard that looks just like that ! Beautiful !!

9/03/2007 3:42 PM  
Blogger daisies said...

mmmmm ~ those berries look so absolutely delicious :) what a wonderful time of the year, you sound infused with the joy of it ~ fantastic :)

9/06/2007 1:38 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

What fun! Great pictures, too~ I love the llamas and the bike, and the berries look amazing. :)

9/06/2007 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jenn! This is a lovely post! Thank you for sharing your luscious adventures with us. I live vicariously through these very types of experiences. The photos of the berries and the garden are soooo inviting. The beauty in nature is just phenomenal. Isn't it? And your bit about Tina - HILARIOUS! I'm a HUGE Napoleon Dynamite fan - so this part really made me chuckle.

Wish I could be there with you in person to share some of your yummy berry creations!

Blessings,
Lisa

9/06/2007 7:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

I'm so glad this post brought joy to others. Thanks for all of your comments.

Berry Update: I haven't been able to use all of the berries quickly enough, so I froze some for later usage. That way I won't end up with moldy berries when I go to make a sweet treat! I'm contemplating a custard tart topped with berries...

9/07/2007 2:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home