The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

5.22.2007

Final First: Readers' Choice

Okay, it's time for the *~*~*First Official Reader Poll*~*~* here at The Stories I Tell.

I have one more "first" left in the Five Firsts series. So, you handful of faithful followers. What story do you want to hear?

Choose from the list below or add your write-in vote in the comments section. I'll reveal the gory or geeky or girly details based on your votes.

1. My first night as a sorority girl. (Gasp! Yes it's true. I wore the Greek letters, people.)

2. My first day of first grade. (The story involves Cap'n Crunch cereal, a rhyming poem, and a brown crayon.)

3. My first training bra. (Featuring mortifying comments by my dad.)

4. My first job. (Complete with a motley crew of employees that include an ex-con, a woman who regularly forgot to eat, and the owner, whom we called "Flipper," for good reason, mind you.)

5. My first talent show. (Madonna, a blue sparkly glove, and fifth grade band geeks. Fun times!)

Vote now! Lines open at the end of the show and stay open until midnight. Who will be the next American Idol? (...wait, I don't even watch that show. Talk about the infiltration of pop culture!)

Seriously, I'll leave voting open until Friday (5/25/07) or until I have 20 votes (from 20 different people -- and no aliases!), whichever comes first.

Edited to add: I'm leaving voting open until midnight tonight (Friday). That means you have six hours to cast your vote. Hurry!

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy | 4:34 PM

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to hear about the talent show.

5/23/2007 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow this is hard! going with 3! ha!

5/23/2007 11:22 AM  
Blogger Kelly K. said...

I really want a peek inside the sorority (and how you ended up there!)

5/23/2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Excellent choices, people! (Of course, you had excellent options to choose from.) And I can see how each of your votes is rooted in a unique point of view about me. This could be an interesting study of social behavior.

We need more votes! C'mon all you lurkers -- make your voice heard.

5/23/2007 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going with either the sorority girl story, or the talent show story . . . so many good choices . . . so hard to choose just one !

5/23/2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger nejyerf said...

You called out the lurkers, so here I am...voting for #4.

5/24/2007 11:18 AM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Thanks for de-lurking and voting, nejyerf!

Okay, so far the sorority and the talent show are tied, based on the double vote by Melissa. Tsk-tsk, Missy. Trying to have your cake and eat it, too! :) I may be forced to go with the first one you wrote, which would put the sorority in the lead. Ooo-- maybe I should hold a contest.

We're a long way from 20 votes, folks. I encourage other lurkers to follow the esteemed nejyerf and come out of the blog closet. Oooh-maybe I should hold a contest and offer prizes! But what would I give away?....

5/24/2007 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cupcakes. give out cupcakes!

5/24/2007 12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no! not the sorority story!! anything but the sorority story!

5/24/2007 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one!

5/24/2007 11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one :)

5/24/2007 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay, how many votes are there now?
did I mention ONE?
I don't know why but I just think that one will be good...
come on everybody, work the system.
i know 20 different people, but I don't care. maybe my passion will win over the judge.

5/24/2007 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only because I live with you, and I know a lot of the "first" stories in your closet, I can't decide on which one to write in.

Let me see...
-The first time you drove my car.
-The first night with the new cat.
-The first multi-cultural, multi-language event with my family.
-The first time I saw you pee in the ocean.
-The first time you turned me down, and the 2nd, and the 3rd, and the 2,451,874,142th time! (or should that be 2,451,874,142nd?)
-The first time you said you love me.
-The first knife fight you were in.
-The first time you tried to paint me white in the middle of the night. (that Michael Jackson cream doesn't come off easily.)
-The first time paint a room in the house a different color. (the cats had a pink hue to them for a week.)
-The first time you traveled to the top of Monte Verde aka the story of "Memo and the Suicide at the Green Mountain."
-The first time we saw that spaceship

I'm sure there are a few more stories that I could write in but because of legal obligations, I regret that there are certain "first" I cannot talk about in public. Let's just say that it involve a chicken, a table and a dog..and we ain't got no dog.

5/25/2007 1:28 AM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Okay, funny man!

5/25/2007 1:31 AM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Hannah: You're breaking the rules but I admire your persistence and enthusiasm! We'll see....

5/25/2007 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left a comment yesterday and it didn't take. . .anyways I vote for 5. But I say do them all!

5/25/2007 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home