The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

3.15.2007

Update on Sponsored Child

If you read the last post, you'll know that I've been concerned about Li, the Chinese boy I sponsored through World Vision. I called WV today and asked if I can do anything to get Li back in school. They are looking into it and will get back to me.

The WV representative also told me that Li is 15 years old, not 10 as I'd thought. I need to find my original information about him, from six years ago, to see if this is correct. The most current update that I have in front of me doesn't list his age. Still, even 15 is too young to leave school for work, at least in my book. Yes, 15 is better than 10, but Li needs much more education if he hopes to fulfill his dream of being a doctor. And let's face it, 15-year-olds are still kids. I didn't consider myself a kid at that age, but now, at more than twice that age, I know differently.

It could take weeks or months to get an update on Li's situation, if an update is available at all. I'll pass along any new information as it is available.

In the meantime, if you're interested in sponsoring a child, please visit World Vision's website. A monthly sponsorship is very affordable for many people and it can make a world of difference. You can also give one-time gifts or buy things such as clothing, educational supplies, and livestock for needy families through the gift catalog. And if you have questions, feel free to call them. I'm telling you, they have the nicest people in the world answering the phones.

Labels:

add to kirtsy | 4:43 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home