The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

3.05.2007

These Are a Few of My...

As much as I rail against the evils of a consumerist culture, I must admit that I like stuff as much as the next person. And if that stuff comes from an independent artist, a non-box store, or is just something unusual, so much the better. Here are a few things that I've been grooving on lately. Some of the merchants even incorporate charitable giving into every purchase.

First of all, Etsy.com. Do you know about this site? It's "your place to buy and sell all things handmade." I may be a late bloomer, having just discovered it recently. But you must check it out! I have had the pleasure of two purchases from Etsy merchants.

This ezine by Jen Lemen is short and sweet, but long on inspiration and full of much-needed affirmations.



I've been on the hunt for a good apron and found one by busybyaprons. With its lovely pattern and flirty skirt, this cute little number could almost be a dress. (If you like completely backless dresses, that is.)


In addition to selling very groovy handmade items, Etsy is a remarkable website. You can search for items by color using a fun floating bubble color chart; using a nifty Geolocator to find sellers anywhere in the world (I found five in Iceland); by recently listed items in two different Time Machine formats, one of which lets you drag and "throw" items across your screen; and by traditional Categories. There's even a Connections feature that I haven't fully explored yet.

I'm discovering a whole host of affordable art online these days, too. And my long-bare walls are thankful. These prints from pretty:darn:swell are waiting to find a home on my walls. (These prints are sold out, but check out their ever-rotating stock of cool prints.)















I haven't purchased anything from Pushmepullyou Design yet, but I'm eyeing up two bird prints. I'm not much of a bird person, but I like mourning doves and seem to have a bunch of them around my house. I was also recently amused to learn the obvious: That doves and pigeons are part of the same bird family. I like the symmetry and irony of these prints.














It's too bad that pigeons get such a bad reputation of being dirty city dwellers or rats with wings, while doves are associated with lovely things like weddings, magic shows, and peace on earth. I finally understood the hatred of pigeons after vising Trafalgar Square and being forced to protect my hot dog from the hungry winged beasts.

In other animal news, this reversible necklace by Mark Poulin on Uncommon Goods shows that it's possible to be both a cat- and dog-person at the same time. Or at least at alternating times.

And finally, this Eau de Play-Doh commissioned by Hasbro would drive my hubby wild. In a bad way. He's the only person I've ever met who can't stand the scent of Play-Doh.

Maybe I'll try Demeter's cotton candy scent instead.

(And in good segue way fashion, my next post will include cotton candy, John Williams, and a night at the symphony.)

Labels:

add to kirtsy | 6:38 PM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i HATE the smell of play-doh!! where's the Eau de Bacon?

3/06/2007 2:12 PM  
Anonymous best corporate gifts 2021 said...

nice blog.

3/01/2021 1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home