The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

5.16.2008

Stroke of Insight

Because some stories are just too good not to share:



(If the video won't play, go here to watch it on the TED site.)

The subject matter of this TED Talk is fascinating: a neuroanatomist experiences a stroke and gets to study her brain from the inside out. The speaker, Jill Bolte Taylor, is one of the most captivating I've ever seen. She moves fluidly from science to the spaces beyond science.

I'm musing on how the functions of the left and right sides of the brain, as well as how they connect, inform the way I write and the way I live.

(Thanks to Jenni Ballantyne for this link.)

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy | 1:03 PM

2 Comments:

Blogger Bridgie said...

Thank you for sharing Jennifer!

I loved the video by Jill Bolte Taylor on TED.

Also, did you see Dr Taylor's interviews with Oprah on Soul Series - wonderful!

Best of all is her book MY STROKE OF INSIGHT - I've read it twice already. Second time better than the first

Dr. Taylor is a great inspiration. The lessons in the book are life-changing...very simple yet very powerful.

Here's the link to the book http://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0670020745/ref=pd_ts_b_12?ie=UTF8&s=books

and here's the link to Oprah's interviews
http://www2.oprah.com/spiritself/oss/guest/oss_guest_jboltetaylor.jhtml

5/21/2008 1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the acknowledgement Jennifer, what an amazing story. She is one inspirational woman, just need to read the book now. I love how she thinks and I love her passion and dignity, I am so glad you shared it also, the more people that have the opportunity to see this the better. Take care sweetie J xx

5/24/2008 1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home