The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

2.02.2008

Chain Reaction

Ten years ago, when I still lived at home with my parents, and my husband was just my new boyfriend, I inadvertently caused a car accident. One late summer night I wanted to meet my boyfriend at a friend's house. In order to get to my mom's Ford Taurus (the car of choice, when the choice came down to that or my Dad's blue Buick) someone needed to move the Buick out of the tandem driveway.

We lived near a busy intersection on a busy street. But traffic was sparse this night. So sparse in fact, that the slightly intoxicated lady driving the SUV down the hill at a high rate of speed should have had plenty of time to see my brother backing the blue boat out onto the street. After all, she had a clear line of sight from the top of the hill to the intersection at the bottom.

She crashed into the Buick underneath my parents' bedroom window. I’m not sure what woke my dad: the noise of the crash, or my mom, who was watching us through the window, shouting, "David's been hit!" Either way, Dad bolts out of bed, flies out of the house, and starts running down the street. Only the running was more like prancing because he was shot through with adrenaline and was barefoot on a sidewalk littered with gravel. On his way to save his youngest child, he hadn't thought to put on shoes, his glasses, or any clothes. I should mention that he was sleeping in his tightie-whities.

My brother was fine, the car needed some work, Dad didn't seem to be embarrassed by the ordeal, and the SUV driver got off clean, even though the cops said she was "borderline" on the sobriety test. And my boyfriend thought I was joking when I called and said, "Can you come here instead? My brother's just been in a car accident and my dad's half naked."


Thanks to Jenna Glatzer at Hot Diggity! for prompting me to share this story. I was lucky enough to win one of Jenna's books, The Street Smart Writer, during the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival.

Labels: ,

add to kirtsy | 1:48 AM

4 Comments:

Blogger Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer said...

Jennifer,

Congratulations once again on the win, and thanks for the laugh. If I had been your dad, I probably would have done the same thing. After all, we don't care if we believe something bad has happened to one of our children. ;)

2/02/2008 3:35 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hilarious!

Thanks for the lift :-)

2/02/2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger bella said...

Wonderful story, so funny.
And so well written.
And now this image of your dad in his underwear and bare feet is burned into my brain. :)

2/04/2008 12:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

just so I, your brother, does not look like an idiot backing out of the driveway, i will state that the car was not in sight at first. and as you mentioned she was going too fast and i had time to:
1. move forward and get hit and get crushed by the telephone pole
2. back out more and swing into traffic

or the correct answer,

3. take the hit where i was with minimal damage to me.

2/04/2008 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home