The Stories I Tell ~ from The Word Cellar

Stories. Anecdotes. A free round of words for everyone!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I love stories. I'm the one at social functions with a dozen new anecdotes. But I worry about hogging the conversation. Sometimes I tell myself that I'll be quiet and let others do the talking. But no matter how hard I try, my stories insist on bursting out! Here I can let my stories (the classics that I tell again and again, as well as new ones that unfold along the way) run free. I'm a professional writer and editor, and sole proprietor of The Word Cellar. I write for a variety of publications and clients on everything from green buildings and nuclear reactors to entrepreneurship and the arts. If you need words written, edited, or enlivened, I can help. Contact me.

12.15.2005

The Zen of 30

I turned 30 two days ago. I meant to write about it on the big day, but I was too busy celebrating and trying not to fall apart.

A big door shut in my face that day. It had nothing to do with turning 30. Basically (and vaguely), I thought I was going down one path professionally, but found out that I had to detour at the last minute. This has happened at least four times in the past six months. Each time I face the disappointment, people like my brother tell me, "Don't be discouraged. This just means that something better will come along." I was not feeling quite so fateful about it. Shit happens.

But now I need to find something to keep me sane and hopeful. So I am surprisingly Zen about this latest letdown. I do believe in the Higher Power, and I do believe that He cares for me. I'm not convinced that everything that happens in this world is exactly what He desires. After all, this is a fallen world. But I do believe that God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love Him.

So I've decided to step back, see the bigger picture, and try to find the next step. Maybe I've been going about this all wrong. Perhaps I need to broaden my scope. I'm not quite sure what that means yet, but thinking it makes me feel better. I will find Plan B. I'll wait on the Lord, but I'll be proactive in doing so.

There's a somewhat smarmy saying that goes: "When God shuts a door, he opens a window." It's a nice sentiment, but sentiment gets on my nerves sometimes. I've watched several doors and windows open and close in rapid succession lately. Am I bitter? I was.

Now, I think I'm just interested to find out what's behind Door Number One.

["Bob, tell her what she's won..."]
["It's a brand new car!"]

Labels:

add to kirtsy | 11:54 PM

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a platitude for you:
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you, it is yours. If it doesn't, it never was.

How's that for smarmy?
Seriously. Try the tape.

12/20/2005 1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is even better: baby animals.
Go to www.cuteoverload.com and look around. it's better than any sentiment!

12/21/2005 1:52 PM  
Blogger Jennifer/The Word Cellar said...

Oh my. Baby animals so cute I could squeal. You're right -- way better than any sentiment!

12/21/2005 2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home